This months AIM IT Leadership Academy session was at Kiewit Business Center on Trends in Business and IT/Executive Perspectives.
The three goals of this session were:
- Learn how to create a concise message to sell an idea to a group of executives in a limited window.
- Practice Team work and presentation skills.
- Achieve a clearer understanding of a executive’s point of view on an organization.
I was under the impression this day was about what was called our capstone presentation. My group consisted of a employee of Team Software and Werner Enterprises. We meet once Team Software, a few times at Farm Credit Services of America and the other times virtually through Zoom. I was extremely happy with the effort by the group and everyone being a good team member.
Our presentation was “Emotional Intelligence in Agile Teams“. Our hook for this presentation was this:
Our company can increase effective communication, engagement, and empower our employees through Emotional Intelligence education and the formation of teams based on complimentary thinking preferences.
We had about 8 to 12 minutes to give the presentation. The presentation was on a actually stage with a podium. The other members of the AIM leadership group were at their tables. There were three volunteers from different organizations who acted as our supervisors.
- Words matter never use “We hope this will work because” instead say “We are confident this will work because”
- Too much detail on Agile and Emotional Intelligence.
- Measuring success over a longer period of time.
We had three breakout session with leaders in executive roles from different companies.
EVP Operations Business Process
- People vs Technology
- You don’t know it all
- Invigorating Culture
- Listening and Framing
- Develop Strong Team Interpersonal Skills
- 12 steps to native cloud development
- Strategy of a Team
- Technical Management in leadership
- Happy people are productive
- We are in the business of IT. IT = Business
- Measure Critical parts of business
- It is OK to say I don’t know, Let me go find out.
- Data centric based on information.
My three take a ways from this session were:
- Before presenting always ask about the environment.
- There is a breadth of Technologies to be educated on.
- The art of words when presenting.
I am excited that next months session is the last. I am hopefully graduating.